Implement Lucene Search in Android App – How to make it work

I created an Android app for World Health Organization long ago. I made different kinds of search engines before with full-text indexing. This time I wanted to do something different. I had only 4 days to make the app. They had different kinds of contents like

  1. html
  2. Plain text files
  3. PDF files

And they needed a search engine to search all the contents and show a unified result set ( Showing results in a same page with relevancy ). Now I could implement it in SQLite, but that would mean a lot of task and the gain would be much lesser than a document-based search engine like Apache Lucene.

Read More »

Springboot and MongoDB: Creating indices on inherited properties or fields.

I started writing my first spring and the first springboot application today. The project requires mongodb and mysql as databases. My application’s domain objects are highly hierarchical and we need to make different kinds of search engines for many child classes. So, there needs to be some violations from common patterns like “field shadowing”. Though it’s only for the purpose of data and search layer, it doesn’t affect the object model of the application. So, I needed to change field behavior in subclasses which are different entities or collections in Mongo store. Basically I needed to put a annotation on subclass to enable an index on a field.

Read More »